Apart from walking, what other exercise is suitable to help you lose weight? Here are a few popular alternatives. Just remember to start moderately and build up gradually so that you don't over stress yourself and end up turning yourself off exercise altogether.
- Joining a local gym or health club is probably the best way to go. They have qualified instructors that can map out an individual fitness and strength training program for you. Strength training (working out with weights) has many beneficial effects and is a really empowering form of exercise.
- These offer exercises that stimulate the respiratory and circulatory systems. Basically, they get you moving and breathing. Class types at gyms include names like 'Cardio Pump', 'Boxercise' and 'Taibo', as well as traditional aerobics classes. If you're starting out, try a low impact style then build up to more vigorous forms. Aerobics are excellent for fitness and will help burn lots of fat.
- An excellent exercise for building fitness, burning fat and overall body toning. Aim for about 3 sessions of 20 minutes plus each week. If you are not a strong swimmer, a bit of coaching from the instructors at your local pool is a good idea. Other services that your pool can offer may include water aerobics, which is a great low impact exercise that can be quite vigorous and help burn off that fat.
- This is terrific for improving fitness and burning fat. However, a word of warning - jogging places significant stress on ankle, knee and hio joints as well as lower back. If you are overweight, jogging may not be a suitable exercise until you get closer to your ideal bodyweight. Brisk walking is probably a better option at this point.
- Get out in the fresh air and enjoy the scenery while getting some good exercise, however demanding or leisurely you choose to make your workout. Safety is a valid concern with cycling. If possible, stick to designated bike paths or ride on less busy roads. Always wear a helmet and bright coloured clothing. Ensure your bike is in good repair.
- A variation is the good old standby, the stationary exercise bike. Time to rescue that one that's been gathering dust in the garage!
- A reasonably new variation on cycling in many gyms these days is 'Spinning' involving groups of trainers on special exercise bikes who are led through a routine by an instructor. This is a great activity to improve fitness and burn off fat.
- Fresh air and lots of walking are key benefits of a round of golf. Many would also claim golf to be a great stress reliever while others would suggest golf causes stress! Whether your game is very good, average or you are just a hacker, golf a few times a week offers the opportunity to exercise with friends. One point though - don't use a motorised ride on buggy as it defeats the purpose - walk your way around the course. And try to stay away from the 19th hole...
- A fun way to get fit is to take up a competitive sport. Many adults turn to sports they enjoyed in their youth, like tennis, netball, basketball, and athletics - the options are endless. A word of warning here - get fit to play sport, rather than playing sport to get fit. We've all heard of older players having a heart attack on the squash court during their once a week game. Play a sport buy make it a part of your overall fitness program.