Your body has many systems and processes built in to adapt to and counter changing conditions. Usually this is a good characteristic - think of sweating on a hot day to cool down or the way your blood clots when you cut yourself. Unfortunately, the same happens when you try to lose weight by reducing your carbohydrate intake - your own body fights the change.
It does this by slowing down your Metabolic Rate to compensate for the lack of carbohydrate fuel. Consequently, your body starts burning less fuel overall, including fuel stored as fat - the fat you're trying to lose.
Other reasons that cause plateaued weight loss include:
- Thyroid Disease
- Skipping Meals
- Insufficient Fluid Intake
- Reduced muscle mass (males have a larger muscle mass, this is the reason why males tend to lose more weight than females)
- Having the same energy intake each day - same meals, same routine
A few tips to kick start your weight loss again:
- Substitute your fruit servings between meals with a protein rich snack like a boiled egg or lean meat. Do this for at least 4 or 5 days.
- Replace one of your daily shakes or meal bars with an actual meal.
- Add exercise to your routine.
- If you already exercise - vary it! Go for a swim instead of a walk.
- Don't overdo the exercise - light to moderate exercise is recommended on the Celebrity Slim Program, including walking, swimming and light gym work.
- Swap your meals around and make sure you have snacks in between your meals.
- Drink plenty of water - you need at least 2 litres per day in small, regular quantities.
- Ensure you have adequate fibre intake. Fibre can help increase your metabolism and also helps increase the way in which food moves through your digestive system.
- Move on to the Rapid Phase of the program for a week or two, to boost your results. Alternatively, try our range of Low-Carb Shakes or Bars (as part of the Trim Phase), which are specifically designed to help boost your weight loss results during a weight loss plateau.